Menu Plan - Pantry Challenge Week 11
We hosted brunch last Saturday which is always lovely. I will say though, that to host brunch for 9 amidst a pantry challenge is extra challenging. Almost all of the recipes I used had to rely heavily on substituted items. Everything was edible and Engineer really liked the leftovers...which was lucky for me 'cuz that's what we had for dinner that night. :)
What is the point of this pantry challenge? I hear you asking. Don't think that your cries fall on deaf ears.
It's fourfold really:
1. To save as much money in the grocery budget as possible. We are currently working fast and furiously toward debt freedom and every penny pinched now means a dollar saved later.
2. To clean out and use up everything rather than wasting anything. I'm sure it's happened to everyone at some point where you pull out mystery meat from the freezer covered in frost. Or have had groceries expire on you because they got shoved to the back - the out of sight, out of mind phenomenon. I want to use up everything and take stock of what and how much we need of certain items.
3. To restock in a different way. Not that we eat that many processed foods anyway, but I do want to make sure that our cupboards are full of nourishing foods rather than foods just to fill our bellies. Don't worry frozen pizza, you will always have a place in my heart and in my freezer.
4. To get better organized. I'm not sure that I could keep up with a detailed account of everything in the freezer, cupboards, pantry, etc. all the time but a general list of items we keep on hand would be helpful. This may also cut down on the mystery meat and expiration situations.
This month we will be eating (in no particular order):
- Beef Stroganoff & Salad
- Sweet Potato Chili & Rolls
- Steak Fingers, Mashed Potatoes, Green Beans
- Pumpkin Soup & Rolls
- Tuna Noodle Casserole & Steamed Veggies
- Salad Nicoise
- Sausage, Biscuits, & Gravy
- Croque Monsieur and Stewed Apples & Cranberries
- Ribs, Roasted Sweet Potato Salad, Greens
- Quesadillas, Rice, & Beans
- Roast Turkey, Green Bean Casserole, Dressing, and Cranberry Sauce
- Pasta Salad, Rice Salad, Green Salad
- Stuffin' Muffins, Roasted Sweet Potatoes, Chard
- Turkey Broccoli Rice Casserole & Sauteed Veggies
Quiche & Salad
- Tin Foil Dinners
- Beans, Greens, & Cornbread
- Turkey Curry over Rice
- Soft Tacos, Rice, & Refried Beans
- Enchiladas, Rice, & Beans
Pork Stir Fry over Rice
- Roast, Rice, & Gravy, Steamed Veggies
Grilled Turkey, Brie, & Cranberry Sandwiches, Slaw, & Broiled Grapefruit
- Tomato Soup & Grilled Cheese
- King Ranch Turkey Casserole and Salad
- Hashbrown Casserole & Mixed Vegetables
Ham, Salad, Sweet Potato & Collard Soup, Cranberry & Brie Crescents, Marinated Broccoli, Mung Bean Salad
- Cuban Sandwiches & Beans
Chicken in a Cloud with Steamed Broccoli
- Frito Pies made with Homemade Chili
- Ham & Apple Casserole
- Ham & Cheese Breakfast Bake
This is part of Menu Plan Monday.